Partnering to Lower Our Countywide Ecological Footprint
Collaborating with Established Organizations to Achieve Stronger Sustainability Program Results
POST EVENT SUMMARY
Speakers from Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE), Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST), and the San Mateo County Office of Sustainability shared a breadth of upcoming programs that the audience can leverage in 2020. In open discussion, attendees asked how access to additional resources could boost their reach and success.
Partnership opportunities ranged from strengthen green programs (panels, movies, and marches), to advocacy efforts (grass roots, grass tops, and action alerts). And all in a broader move to help lower our communities’ ecological footprint.
- Date - Wed November 20, 11.30a
- Location - Sobrato Center for Nonprofits, 330 Twin Dolphin Dr, Redwood City
- Attendees - 38 people representing 29 organizations; attendee mix = 53% nonprofit, 18% government, 8% business, 13% youth
- Presentation - link
Speakers/Experts (bios & pictures below)
- Kirsten Andrews-Schwind - Senior Manager of Community Relations, PCE (building & transit electrification and local energy programs)
- Mark Medeiros - Senior Manager of Community Engagement, POST (community event programs)
- Danielle Lee - Deputy Director, San Mateo County Office of Sustainability (public education and incentive programs)
- "Diverse, engaged group."
- "Good to hear about the diversity of climate action taking place."
- "Great mix of people and speakers; tons of info."
- "Good quality of speakers and variety of participants."
Kirsten Andrews-Schwind - Kirsten previously co-founded and directed a nonprofit think tank promoting innovative local climate mitigation and adaptation policy. She authored The Community Resilience Toolkit, featured on the CAKE climate adaptation exchange and used by grassroots groups and policy makers in more than 30 countries. Kirsten also co-founded the Local Clean Energy Alliance to promote Community Choice Energy in 2008. Kirsten holds a BA in Economics and an MS in Natural Resources Management, and speaks Spanish.
Mark Medeiros - Mark Medeiros is Senior Manager of Community Engagement at Peninsula Open Space Trust, also known as POST, which has protected 77,500 acres of open space and farms on the Peninsula and in the South Bay since it's founding in 1977. Mark will share about POST's work in general as well as POST's community event programs which include a variety of free events throughout the year along with their annual Wallace Stegner Lectures.
Danielle Lee - Danielle helps create the Office of Sustainability’s strategic plan, works collaboratively with elected officials and staff from the County and cities, develops and leads multi-department collaboration, provides budget and administrative oversight, represents the County at public meetings and events, and communicates within the County workforce and to external partners. She earned an MBA and BA in Integrative Biology at University of California, Berkeley.
Kirsten Andrews-Schwind - PCE
Danielle Lee - San Mateo County Office of Sustainability
Mark Medeiros - POST